Friday, September 21, 2007

Autumn

Happy 1st Day of Fall! 2 Days Early!

Living in New England for the past 16 years has made me really appreciate Autumn. I've always enjoyed this time of year. Definitely my favorite season.

I suppose it's the cooler weather, the crispness to the mornings and evenings, the apples, the pumpkins, the warm cider, the necessity for sweaters, the change in the leaves: from greens to glorious golds, reds, oranges, mustards. Wonderful.

Moving to the Midwest last year has not afforded me the same type of Autumn. Today for instance, it reached into the 80s. Not exactly Fall weather in my book. But, I'm hopeful. Last week the weather cooperated, and we could sleep with the windows wide open. I'm sure this hotter weather will soon be something of the past and my favorite season will begin.

Today, the kids finished their Viking ships for class. I burned several fingers in the process while hot-gluing the ships together. The kids however, were fine.

They made what is known as Drakkar boats (warships).

For some odd reason (ha!) the boys wanted to make these and not Knaar boats (cargo vessels). Hmmm... go figure!


Note added: Yes, like an idiot, I posted this 2 days early. Autumn really begins on Sunday. Oops!

No comments: