Friday, February 15, 2008

Blank Canvas Granola


Whew! Almost recovered from yesterday's post. Now here's a lower-sugar post. I love granola. With nuts and seeds and fruit, both dried and fresh. I really like the Ginger Almond & Cashew granola from here and the Banana Nut one from this company, but I've never made a batch from scratch (hey it rhymes!). Well, my in-laws have been making their own granola for over 30 years and have given me their recipe several times. I don't know why I kept putting it off. Perhaps I thought it would take too long to make? Or maybe it was the fact that I kept forgetting to buy a key ingredient? Anyway, here is a simple, no bells and whistles, but versatile granola recipe. Think of it like a blank canvas: ready to add your own toppings. Enjoy.

"Blank Canvas" Granola (aka in-laws granola)
8 cups old fashioned oats

2 small jars (12 oz. each) unsweetened wheat germ

2 tsp cinnamon

2/3 cup canola oil

2 tsp vanilla

1 cup honey


With wooden spoon, mix oats, wheat germ & cinnamon together in very large bowl. In large measuring cup* pour in oil until it comes to the 2/3 line, pour in honey (now you'll be up to the 1 and 2/3 line, then follow it with the vanilla. Mix this well. Add to dry stuff. Mix really really well. (This may take a little longer than you had hoped!).
Put on baking tray (with a lip and lined with foil). Bake at 325 F for about 15 min. Turn with spatula. Bake about 10 min more. Stir every now and then as it cools. Put into air-tight container. Should keep about 1 month.**

* you could measure it with measuring cups and mix in a bowl, but then you'd have more to wash up
**ha! It won't keep that long in a household of six.


If perchance you like a more intricate granola recipe, here are a few that look very tempting:

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I love granola...looks like a great recipe!

randi---i have to say said...

We love granola and it never lasts long in our house either!

Berlinswhimsy said...

Yum. You remind me that I need to make some granola...it's been too long.