Friday, February 22, 2008

Colored "Glass": A Tutorial for Kids**

An irregular color wheel!

Note: This is for Cami who makes such neat crafts and who has lots of snow right now.

A few days ago I tried a colorful and easy but messy craft for kids to use outside in the snow or freezing weather. So here's what you can do to make your own colored 'glass'.


You need:
water balloons
food coloring
plastic bag(s)
cookie sheet with sides
newspapers or old towels
scissors
old clothing that you don't mind getting dirty
snow boots, coats & gloves (for after)

WORD OF CAUTION: This is a messy craft! Food coloring will stain, so do this with newspaper or towels and/or clean up spills right away, wear old clothes you don't mind getting dirty and make sure you wipe your hands before touching those clean walls! Or better yet, do parts of this outside in the cold.

Put 1 drop of food coloring into a balloon. 1 drop is enough. More than that, and it gets messier.

Carefully fill the balloon with water. Follow the directions on the package. (You may have to squeeze the water down into the balloon with one hand while the other hand is holding the top of the balloon against the end of the spigot (faucet). Carefully remove and tie off. Repeat. Place in plastic bag(s)* and freeze.

Next day: Put on old clothes. Place towels or newspaper down for protecting surfaces. (If doing outside, then you probably can skip this part). Have an adult cut the balloon. The kids can peel it off. Careful - there might be some colored liquid that falls out. Wearing gloves at this point is good to keep your hands from becoming icicles.

Put the colored glass onto the cookie sheet (this helps to catch drips).

Put on your coats, boots and gloves... maybe a hat.

Go out and play.
But no throwing at each other - it'll be like getting pummeled with a rock. Ouch!

* You don't have to put them into plastic bags, but it's a precaution against freezer spills.

** for adults to do with and/or for the kids unless you have older ones

17 comments:

Jessica said...

My younger son would love this...I'll have to try it!

Cami said...

Oh. My. Gosh! Those are the neatest things I've ever seen! I can't wait to try them this weekend. I was just telling my son it's supposed to snow for the next 3 days - perfect!! Really, they're beautiful - like teardrop jewels! PS Thanks for thinking of me Ellen ;)

Hurrayic said...

You're welcome!

ellen said...

Fantastic!!!! Just don't have the snow here now.
What fun.

randi---i have to say said...

This sounds fun! We are expecting some snow, but only a small amount. Hopefully some deeper snow will come our way so we can do this!

Florence said...

What an amazing idea - and what beautiful photographs they make.

Thank you so much for the comment you left on my blog a couple of weeks ago - it had got lost in my rather jumbled-up inbox! So lovely to (eventually) discover your blog now though. x

asnipofgoodness said...

This is the best idea I would so do this if I could, but so sad for us we already have 60 degree days, and spring is coming very quickly.lol

Beck said...

That is the neatest thing I've ever seen AND I have a houseful of kids home from school today - what a perfect time to happen upon it!

denise said...

I love the color. Beautiful and COOL!

Michie said...

That is so cool. What beautiful colors! Thanks for sharing! I hope you don't mind if I post a link to this project on my blog!

kawaii crafter said...

I wish we had snow here. I'd totally do this if there was snow.

Great pictures by the way.

jessica

Tip Junkie said...

Great tutorial and idea. I featured it on Tip Junkie today! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anja said...

This is great! I love the idea!!! 4 or 5 months to go...

springtreeroad said...

i love it! looks like really good fun.

Sarah said...

My 2 boys loved this activity we are from the top end of Australia. It is way to hot and Ice is such a wonderful idea.they had fun dropping the smaller ones off the balcony and watch them smash really cool then watching them melt and added paper and painted with them. Will try this again.

Annie said...

I am hoping it gets colder for the first time this winter!!! Thanks! Annie from www.nofussfabulous.com

Christine - Origami Mommy said...

These are just so pretty! Truly like little jewels.