This was my apron submission for Amy's Tie One On. (Go take a look ~ some very nice aprons as always!) I couldn't take a proper photo of it while wearing it myself, so my daughter is modeling it for me. The waist is a tad big for her, and she complained that her elbow looked a bit dry... oh well. This was actually a fun one to make ~ I had been thinking of ideas for a while ~ but of course, I made it 2 days before it was due! That, and the fact that I wasn't using a proper pattern, but winging it in terms of construction, made for some interesting sewing techniques.
The theme was polka dots and I realized that although I like polka dots (I have lots of dotty socks), my fabric stash was low on dotty fabric, and I didn't feel like purchasing anymore right now, so I thought I'd cut out some 'dots' using another fabric (batik fabric that had a dot-like motif).
I ironed fusible interfacing to two fabrics, cut out the big 'dots', then sewed them in a line (down the center of each dot) onto the background fabric.
The submission picture probably doesn't show it as well, but the dots are able to be lifted off the fabric on either side.
I like the effect and might try some other things using the same idea.