Thursday, February 07, 2008

Mushroom Love


In December, my husband and I celebrated my mother in law's birthday at a very nice restaurant with yummy food. We enjoyed a mushroom-brie soup. Since we've been married, I've tried recreating various recipes over the years from our dinner dates (few and far between, mind you!). So, here's my version posted at I Have To Say (found via Amber).

Go over and see all the good stuff to eat.


Mushroom Brie Soup

1/2 large sweet Vidalia onion, finely chopped
3-4 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. mushrooms (I used mixture of white button & baby bella), sliced
1 1/2 cups white wine*
1 can (14.5 oz) low sodium beef broth**
1/2 tsp thyme
fresh ground pepper (salt to taste - I left this out due to sodium intake)
1/2 cup milk
8-10 oz brie (cut off outer rind around edge - rind on inner part is fine), slice
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, snipped finely

Saute butter, onions & garlic in large saucepan over med-low heat until onions are translucent & just a bit golden. Add wine & mushrooms. Simmer 20 min. Add thyme, pepper & broth. Simmer another 20 min. Puree in food processor or blender (in batches ~ or if you have an immersion blender, use that ~ lucky you). Put back into saucepan. Stir in milk, simmer to keep warm. Right before serving, add brie so that it melts. Don't let it boil! Just simmer. Stir in parsley. Serve with crusty bread & salad.

* you could use Madeira
** you could use veggie or chicken stock

edited to add the swap button

3 comments:

Junie Moon said...

What a wonderful soup recipe! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Cami said...

Oh my gosh, my mouth is watering! That looks SO good. I'll have to see if I can get my son to make it (he's the chef in the family)!

Marilyn@Mixed Bouquet said...

That soup looks wonderful!! Thanks!