Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Soup Challenge: Waste Not Soup

aka Use-Up-What-You-Have-Soup

Are you up for a challenge?

I am learning a lesson repeatedly: don't buy more than we can eat in a week or so. Now I'm not talking non-perishables or even perishables with lengthy expiration dates, nor am I referring to freezer items. I'm actually talking about the food in my refrigerator ~ you know the things: the container of unopened sour cream or yogurt that is hiding in the back, or the half-full package of luncheon meat that is stacked beneath layers upon layers of cheese and other unidentified, hastily-wrapped sundries lying in the deli drawer. Or how about the veggie bins? Some of my favorite science experiments happen in there! All that slime and fuzz! Wow.

Why is it that I buy more than I need? I will admit that I'm a hoarder in some areas. (Got to work on that.) Remember Y2K? Thankfully I hadn't purchased a truckload of rice or flour, but I had canned beans stacked in neat rows and 25 tubes of toothpaste not to mention several years' worth of deodorant, Parmalat and ______________ (fill in the blank). And thankfully, we were able to use up some of that and give other stuff away.

But back to my overbuying of perishables. I think having a fridge that is too full (crammed?) helps things to rot. I really hate wasting vegetables and fruit and other food. Perhaps better meal planning, organization, more realistic quantities and thinking of others that are in need would help in this area. Plus it would help our wallet.

So I emptied my vegetable bin.
Waste Not Soup.
(it ended up tasting like borscht)

1/2 head of red cabbage
1 small bag of baby carrots
4 stalks celery
1 sweet onion
1 can pinto beans
1 can no-salt added diced tomatoes
1 cup white wine
1 container (quart) low sodium chicken broth
3 packets of low sodium liquid veggie broth mixed with 2 cups water (I used Trader Joe's)
dried parsley - small handful
garlic powder - a few shakes
1 tsp smoked sweet Spanish paprika *
salt & pepper, to taste

Chop up veggies, put all into pot. Boil it until carrots are tender and cabbage still has some color to it. Serve with sour cream and bread. (My husband added a few dashes of Worcestershire.)

* This item is one I recently discovered after borrowing this cookbook from the library many months ago. It's very good. It also comes in bittersweet and hot but I'm too chicken to try either.

Now for the Waste Not Soup Challenge:
I know you probably have some veggies or other goodies lurking in your fridge.
What soup can you come up with?

2 comments:

heylucy said...

Oh, this is a good idea. I just posted a similar thing I make to use vegetables before they go bad.

I also am not sure if you saw, but I tagged you to share 7 things about yourself. If you don't like to do those tagging things, I totally understand!

Berlinswhimsy said...

Okay, I'm late but I still want to participate...

What I have:
Lots of Broccoli (Costco)
1 onion
parsley (on the verge...)
carrots
celery
** I know my kids like Cream of Broccoli Soup so I would probably make a creamy soup with a bit of sharp cheddar. I'd use that last onion, dice up the carrots & celery into a very fine dice and throw them in, too. I'd use the parsley, too. (I always try to hide some added veggies in soup).

I used to always have lots of veggies going bad in my crisper but these days our shopping trips aren't as frequent. Soup is a great alternative and very economical, too... ;-)