Thursday, May 22, 2008

Robin's Merry Men

will be descending upon Sherwood's Forest (aka our backyard) this coming Saturday. I've been hemming and hawing about getting my 10-year-old's birthday party planning accomplished so today I worked a bit on some ideas. Between all of our kids, I've done approximately 20 themed parties. Albeit fun and memorable, I am just plain tuckered out. Also (bad timing on my part) for some reason I kept thinking Memorial Day weekend was NEXT weekend. Boo Hoo! I would have preferred a 3-Day Calgon bath...

This is my 7 year old modeling a hat for me.

My 10-year-old (his real birthday was last week) decided he wanted a Robin Hood theme. Several months ago I agreed that it sounded like an interesting topic as I imagined full-garb costumes hand sewn by me for each invitee, lots of bows that we'd whittle from tender tree saplings and string with ? ... but alas, none of those things happened.

So Plan B is:

Robin Hood Hats made from green foam sheets and red feathers. Here's a good video to watch on how to make your own.


Pouches made from brown felt and a crocheted chain of yarn for the handle to hold all the treasure.

Pretty good for 10 bucks!

Treasure Chest. I was going to have Little John (aka my husband) make one from corrugated, but he's so swamped at work, and Michael's was having a 60% off sale, so we're using this one instead. Pretty good deal, I say.

Don't you wish the loot was authentic?

We filled it with coins and gems (the gems were on clearance at Michael's too... good thing!) Now I just need to stow it away and make clues so the boys can find it. I'll share some After-Party scenes next week, but for now, I've got to go make some bulls-eye cupcakes.

7 comments:

Allison Fouse said...

Cool! Bullseye cupcakes are a great idea too.

ellen said...

What a fun party that will be!
Love your tag sale items too.

K&S City Girl said...

Oh Gosh I love your treasure chest. We're having a treasure hunt theme party this Sunday for my daughter's birthday party.

Mary

Florence said...

I love the hats - they are wonderful. Wishing you a lovely party.

Thank you so much for letting me know when you posted, but don't fear, completely illogically we have been looking out for the post van since the day after you did the draw...so excited are we that normal time barriers, such as having to get across an enormous ocean, haven't been factored into our wait!

Enjoy the weekend. x

amy t sharp said...

this is so awesome- I linked you on designmom.com today! xo amy

perilloparodies said...

what great ideas... would you mind if i used some of them for one of my kid's birthday parties some day... wow... original and fun. wherever did you come up with it all? happy birthday to your son... and i am sure that all your work will pay off...

Shimmy Shake said...

I can't believe those hats - so adorable. What great ideas, I am sure the party will be a hit!