Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tag Sale Finds

Yesterday I was running some errands (sans kids) and I just 'happened' to see a garage sale sign and then a yard sale sign so I decided to stop. Around this part of the country, they call them yard, garage, and rummage sales. Where we used to live they were referred to as 'tag sales'. The name doesn't really matter; it's the content that does. (okay, so I think 'tag' is the nicest sounding and makes the most sense since most items have little 'tags' on them... and who wants to buy a garage?)

Some large blue bell jars and some pretty embroidery.

I'm trying to restrain myself from bringing more 'stuff' into the house. At some tag sales it's easy to pass up what people are trying to sell. Either it's truly 'junky' or it's priced too high and I'm not a haggler. At others, well...

The birds and nest were embroidered by someone's 'grandmother'. It was in a frame with little boxed sections, so the exposed fabric was darker than the fabric beneath the wood. When I took the frame off and peeled back the paper backing, I was glad to see that the fabric had not been glued down, but instead had just been taped around the edges.

This nest is so sweet and I think the technique for making it is interesting. Little tufts of wool.

This of course, is my favorite bird of the bunch. I like the colors. Whoever made it obviously had a good time while sewing down every little stitch.

Okay, so today (Saturday) is a new day... I'm off to more 'tag' sales. What do you call them in your neck of the woods?

9 comments:

Claire Louise Milne said...

Thanks for the comment on the pie carrier!
Those are wonderful finds which I certainly couldn't resist.
I grew up calling them "yard sales" but I like tag sales too.

Allison Fouse said...

Those birds are too cute. Great find!
We call them garage sales or yard sales.

~ANG said...

Found your blog today. I enjoyed reading and seeing the pictures. In Virginia we call them yard sales, but I must agree that tag sale sounds more chic. What great finds..the embroidery is beautiful.

Hurrayic said...

I had just mentioned to the kids about 'car boot sales'. I had seen that expression on some UK sites. Now that sounds fun.

Isdihara said...

Wow, what delightful embroidered birds! I would have bought them myself. (Glad you saw them first, eh?)

In Pennsylvania where I grew up we always called such finds Yard or Garage sales.

Thanks for posting today. I always love reading your blog.

Regina said...

Great finds! I love those blue jars. Very rarely ever find any. I guess we call em yard sales around here, but not everyone has a yard so tag sale seems much more appropriate.

ellen said...

Lucky day for you! I love the jars and the embroidery is so sweet.

kawaii crafter said...

what a great find!

randi---i have to say said...

We call them yard sales. I do think "tag sale" is a much nicer phrase! Love the embroidery!