Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Take 1: "Crispy Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies"

A year ago I visited a local farmer's market and bought a cookie.

A crunchy oatmeal-type cookie.


A very yummy type of cookie.

I bought a few more, took them home and tried to decipher their contents one by one.

I made several attempts; this is my first successful one:

Crispy Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies - Version 1

1 ½ cups butter (3 sticks)

3/4 cup light brown sugar

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

½ tsp salt

1 ½ cups flour

1 ½ cups quick oats

½ cup wheat germ

½ cup toasted oat bran (Trader Joes carries this)

2 c. Grape Nuts cereal (organic kind)

2 tsp baking soda

1 cup dried sweetened cranberries

½ cup golden raisins

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla 'til blended. Set aside. In large bowl, mix together salt, flour, oats, wheat germ, oat bran, Grape Nuts & baking soda. Combine with wet stuff. Fold in cranberries and raisins. Roll into 1+” balls, flatten on ungreased cookie sheet (or parchment lined sheet). (These spread so I only put 12 on a sheet instead of 16 as usual.) Bake 375 F for 8-13 min. Transfer to cooling rack. Makes 4 dozen 3" size cookies.

Note: chill dough in fridge for ½ hour before rolling into balls – the spreading will lessen


****It still needs some tweaking, but it is awfully good. Any experienced bakers out there? I'd love to hear your recommendations for improvement. Maybe decrease amount of butter or egg? Add nuts?

2 comments:

ellen said...

Yummy, yummy in the tummy. If it weren't nearly my bedtime and if I had most of the ingredients, I would be whirling my way into the kitchen to make these babies right now!!

Shimmy Shake said...

Well done, very impressive deciphering cookie ingredients. I will have to give them a try they sound delicious!