Monday, June 23, 2008

BTRS Swap: Finished!

Mixy-Matchy

After a where-did-the-weekend-go episode, I set to work on the BTRS swap. Here are the finished results: Napkins and placemats. 6 of each. I used the patterns from Amy's book.

I was aiming for a 'vintage' look so I chose tiny calico prints and a multi-striped cotton. The napkins are striped as you can see as are the backs of each placemat. On the fronts of the placemats I tried varying the prints in order to get a mix & match feel.

The back of each placemat is striped.

They turned out 'okay'. I think there are a few items I would change if I do it again. Namely, the choice of ribbon. I wanted something brown to coordinate with the brown in 2 of the fabrics, but perhaps a brown print would have been better. Hmmm...

The ribbon is a wire-edged brown.

And I think perhaps enlarging the finished size of both napkins and placemats would be helpful so that I have more latitude with seam allowances. Either that or invest in a serger sewing machine. All in all however, I'm pleased with the results. I'm definitely going to make up some more napkins. Hope my swap partner likes it! Now I just need to add a recipe to her package...

Edited: Just thought I'd update my post after reading another blogger's snafus with the placemats. I have to agree with her on one thing: the pattern needs yardage amounts listed. She ended up not buying enough fabric; I bought too much. And then I had to make another stop at the fabric store to buy additional ribbon - 3 yards more.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

i LOVE yours, they turned out so well. sniff, just wish you were sending those to me! those colors are awesome, especially sigh over the striped napkins.

perilloparodies said...

ooh, i think they are just lovely. I agree with rebecca. love the striped napkins. just great.

Jessica said...

I love your placemats and napkins. The fabric choices are great! I need to make some new summer placemats soon!

Shimmy Shake said...

Those placemats are lovely - I think swaps are so much fun. Beautiful fabric, I will have to try that pattern.

Kristin B. said...

Oh so very cute! Great job. I thought they were going to be easier than they turned out to be. You made some great fabric choices.
Oh and to answer your question they re-carpeted my dad's stairs we were just widening them because they were so little and steep. It was a great learning experience for me.