Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Havana Apron

I'm finally able to show you my submission for Amy's Tie One On. The theme this time was Havana Nights, and besides being an adventure in sewing without a pattern (again), there was an added benefit: I was introduced to the Buena Vista Social Club's music and documentary of the same name. Very engaging and fun.

A shuffle of ruffles!

I made the apron in time for the initial deadline but hadn't taken pictures of it in its completed state. Not to worry I told myself ... Amy had extended the deadline... so therefore, I had more time to procrastinate about photographing the apron!

A welt 'pocket' technique to create slits in the top layer.

Then in late May, I realized that I better get a move on the photography and send it off to her or else.

Detail of waistband - wanted both sides to be as flat as possible.

You can go see all the awesome aprons here.

I made it reversible to show two different sides of Cuba (at least my perception of Cuba since I've never visited). The first side is utilitarian but with slits in it to give hints of what is beneath. Once the bows are untied, the utilitarian side is flipped over, and the bows are re-tied, a night of dancing is in order.

This was my most difficult apron yet. I sketched and re-sketched and figured out mathematical equations, bought the materials (had trouble finding the right width of eyelet lace), and then stood, with scissor in hand, wavering. I always hate those first few cuts. What if I mess it up? It's funny, I was rereading something in Amy's book about the various 'types' of crafters. Although I think I fit the different categories (Miser, Perfectionist, Speed Demon & Artist) to various degrees and with various projects, this apron has me now in the 'artist' category. The one where yes, there's creativity, but the possible 'inability' to re-create what I've made! Yikes.

8 comments:

ellen said...

Your apron is a work of art. It is fantastic and so original. Congratulations on a job well done. I don't think I could ever come up with something so unique.

Allison Fouse said...

I am sooooo kicking myself in the arse for not participating in this one. It would have been so much fun! Your apron is great. I can't even begin to imagine all of the time you spent making those ruffles!

Mirre said...

Wow, very cool apron!

Shimmy Shake said...

That is one fabulous apron, and reversible to boot! You can tell you really spent time creating something original...well done!

The List Writer said...

Wow - this apron is utterly stunning! Well done - you should be very pleased with yourself.

I fully intended to join in on this one, but got waylaid by a quilt.... However, I too bought the Buena Vista CD on Amy's recommendation and loved doing all my quilting to it :o)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm off to have a look through more of yours now!

xx

perilloparodies said...

that is so fun!!! my toddler daughter loves frilly, skirts, and aprons, so i know she would even fall in love with this one.any child size versions planned? and love the bright colors.

perilloparodies said...

oh, forgot to mention, that i am big on things that can switch according to my mood. love the fact that it is double sided.

kawaii crafter said...

Your apron is amazing and what's more impressive is it's reversible! Love the thought and concept you put into it.