Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sweetness

Just a few days ago I was lamenting the fact to Erin from House on Hill Road fame, that I had not been able to find strawberries to pick this year, and therefore there would be no fresh strawberry jam in the freezer for the winter. And of course after seeing this blog and this one and this one too, I was discouraged. Oh well. In New England, the strawberry season is in June. Where were are now the strawberry season is the end of May. (I noted that some of the above bloggers also posted in May, so their seasons must be earlier too.) I'm trying to remind myself of the change and embed the new berry season into my brain.

Some of the strawberry jam that actually made it into the freezer...

We did, however, have success. After rechecking a nearby place this past Saturday, we managed to pick 4 quarts of strawberries. Not the most attractive ones but good enough for jam. Heh, they're getting mashed anyway. My older two came with me to pick. A few hours later....ahhh... sweetness and contentment in the form of 10 (well 9 now - oops! make that 8 - 2 didn't make it to the freezer!) ruby-hued jars of jam! Now onto peach making...

But first...golden kiwi! Yum. They're different than the green variety. Less hairy and more sweet. Cut them in half and scoop them out with a spoon. They're also more $ than the green ones, but well worth it.

And one last sweet... coconut cigars. Enough sugar for one day!

2 comments:

Isdihara said...

Oh my gracious, those photos made me so hungry for fresh fruits, jam and sweets! You're an evil, evil woman and I love you for it.

We missed the big outing to the strawberry patch this year so we won't have any strawberry jam or wine (my husband is a home brewer)for the winter.

Thanks so much for posting.

Cami said...

Coconut cigars? They look beautiful - I've never seen such a thing!