Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Citrusy Goodness

Last week, we made some homemade lemonade, our second batch. Lovely.

I used organic sugar so the finished resulting color is a bit darker than if I had used regular white sugar. I didn't have a potato masher, so I used my pastry blender. I based it on this recipe, but changed a few things that a friend had done. Just thinly slice all lemons - put in bowl, put sugar on top, mash it, add water. Transfer some of the lemons to bottom of pitcher, pour the remainder (through a strainer) directly into pitcher. Add ice. Good to go!

It was so refreshing but gone in a matter of minutes! I'll either have to double the batch next time or ration out portions. Now that we've had the real stuff, it will be difficult to return to the fake dry stuff. And we did try some homemade limeade as well...

... it was good but a wee bit sour. And the next day (yes, I unfortunately left the limes in the pitcher overnight), it was totally... well let's just say it made your eyes blink uncontrollably and your mouth pucker like a shriveled prune. Maybe we should try some homemade orange juice?

Edited to add: My beautiful pitcher is no more. I think I poured too-hot water in the sink (when the empty pitcher was also in there) and I heard a 'pinging' sound. It must have made two large circular cracks in the bottom of the glass.

5 comments:

Knit and Sew City Girl said...

Oh dear (re pitcher). Can you buy the same one or is it an one off? But nice homemade lemonaide.

Anja said...

I'm so sorry about you pitcher. But you have a great photos of it to treasure :o)
Love your lemonade shots.

Sandy said...

Yum, but I'm sorry about your pitcher! Grrr...

a friend to knit with said...

oh, it looks delicious.
i always ration the servings. small cups for my kids. making sure everyone gets the same amount.
often, i feel like my mom. :)

Regina said...

Yum! So beautiful too.