Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Corn & Oats

These did not last more than an hour!
I had to fend off hungry children
so that there would be some left for my husband.


Well, the not-making-another-post-about-food didn't last too long. I spent most of the day schooling and cleaning up my photos on the computer - all 8000+ of them! Ridiculous. I need to be better about printing and deleting. Also storage. What does everyone else do for storage? On a cd?

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand: food. After seeing some of A Friend to Knit With's cookies of recent, I began rummaging through my recipe box and found 2 recipes that I haven't made for 12...13..14 years? Can't remember exactly. One is Orzo Corn Chowder and the other are Scotch Teas. Both are delicious and easy to make, especially the cookies, which taste very butterscotch-y, hence the name. Enjoy!

This tastes very creamy
but made without heavy cream or butter.


Orzo Corn Chowder
3/4 cup dry orzo
1/4 lb bacon (or a 2 oz. pkg of bacon bits)
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced or about 1 Tbsp dry (approx)
1- 32 oz. container chicken broth
2 1/2 cups milk (1% or 2%)
1 - 12 oz. pkg. frozen corn, thawed
A few shakes of ground pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp flour


1. Cook orzo in water, drain.
2. While orzo cooks, brown bacon in big pot. Drain grease. (I omitted this bacon step because I only had bacon bits handy & ended up throwing them in the pot directly with all else.)
3. Add onion & parsley & cook until onion is soft.
4. Add orzo and everything else (except flour) to pot.
5. Bring to boil VERY SLOWLY.
6. Put 2 Tbsp flour in small bowl with about 3/4 cup water, stir, then add to pot. Stir well.
7. Eat or keep until next day.
Variation: can add a pinch or two of cayenne, maybe some diced red peppers, doctor the spices?

Note to Self: Make a Double or Triple Batch next time.

Scotch Teas (Oatmeal Cookies)
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups quick cooking oats
(or 4 packets of instant plain oatmeal that none of my kids want to eat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 8" x 8" pan with pam or grease it. In medium saucepan over low heat, stir butter and sugar together until butter melts. Stir in oats, baking powder & salt. Fill the baking pan, flatten a bit. Bake about 20-25 min. After it comes out, let cool slightly and 'cut' into bars while still in pan. They do have to harden just a bit; otherwise they're mushy. (If you wait too long though, the cookies harden and are more difficult to cut.) Makes about 16 small cookies.

2 comments:

ellen said...

Yummmmm

Connie said...

Ooo. I always get hungry when I come to your blog. I wish Matt could eat orzo.