Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whistle While You Work

concentrating

in a pinch - homemade brown sugar

whistling whilst making cinnamon coffeecake

My youngest loves to help me in the kitchen, often asking to stir or whip or break eggs (his favorite). Usually I find that I'm in a hurry so my pat answer is, "Not right now... maybe later...but thanks for asking." The days come and go, come and go. This morning he asked again, seeing that I was readying to make a cinnamon coffee cake for breakfast. This time, I agreed. So he donned his apron and washed his hands, and as he began to stir and whip and break those eggs, he whistled some classical tune that one of his brothers had practiced just yesterday on the piano. I couldn't help but thinking what joy he showed in doing such a simple job. Maybe all of us should whistle more while we work?

3 comments:

a friend to knit with said...

i love having a helper in the kitchen.
and your little helper couldn't be cuter!!!

lisa said...

How did the coffee cake turn out?

Liz Autry said...

how do you make the homemade brown sugar?